Aesthetic Dermatology Treatment Instructions
General Treatment Instructions
Please notify us if you have taken Accutane within the past 6 months or if you have plans to start.
Avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Motrin).
Avoid fish oil and other herbal supplements (Vitamin E, Green Tea, Flax Seeds, Chia Seeds, Multivitamins) 5 -7 days prior to treatment.
Avoid alcohol for at least 3 days prior to treatment and 24 hours after treatment.
DO NOT apply any topical treatments 3 days before & after your treatment (eg, Retin-A/ Tretinoin, Retinol products, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxyl acids, etc).
Please limit sun exposure for at least 1-2 weeks after treatment.
Avoid exercise or strenuous activity for 24 hours after treatment.
Avoid HOT showers, baths, hot tubs/saunas for 5 days after treatment.
Oral and topical Arnica may be taken for 5 days after treatment starting the day of treatment.
Botox/ Dysport/ Fillers Treatment Instructions
- It is normal to feel “firmness” in the area where you had filler placed.
- DO NOT RUB/DO NOT MASSAGE/DO NOT MANIPULATE the injection site area unless you are told to do so. Avoid any other vibrational devices, such as Clarisonic brushes, facials, or massages for the next 5 days.
- DO NOT lie down for at least 6 hours after Botox/Dysport or engage in vigorous activity for 24 hours.
- You may apply an ice pack/cold compress to injection site area to reduce swelling/bruising after your treatment. If your swelling persists too long, please contact our office.
Laser and Hair Removal Treatment Instructions
- DO NOT wax or tweeze the area for the duration of the treatment
- DO NOT use hair removal lotions or hair bleach for the duration of the treament
- Please shave the treatment area within 12 hours before your procedure
- Shaving or using clippers are the only acceptable methods of hair removal in between treatments.
- Hair loss will be most evident 5-14 days after treatment. You may expect a mild sunburn-like sensation that may last 2-3 hours with redness and swelling lasting about 1 day.
- Please DO NOT tan after treatment as it may cause skin darkening.
- Remove all creams and lotions prior to your treatment.
- NO direct sun exposure or tanning beds/ products at least 2 weeks prior to treatment.
PDO Thread Lift Instructions
- Avoid physical exercise for 7 days post-procedure.
- Gently cleanse the treated areas the same day.
- Do NOT rub or massage the face for 2 weeks (e.g., no Clarisonic type brushes)
- Avoid facial massages/facials for 3-4 weeks.
- Avoid opening the mouth too wide for 3-4 weeks (avoid dental treatment for 4 weeks if possible)
- Avoid excessive chewing, talking, yawning, smiling, and other facial movements during this period of time.
- A stinging, scratchy sensation, or “pulling” pain/discomfort is normal. This will subside over a 2-5 week period (varies per individual).
- You may take Tylenol 500 mg 1-2 tablets every 6 hours as directed. Avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medication such as Naproxen or Ibuprofen.
- Anti-inflammatory medication may be taken after 7 days.
- Avoid extreme temperatures, such as sauna or cold climate for 10 days.
- Avoid having laser/laser type (Sublative, laser, IPL) treatments of the treated areas for at least 8-10 weeks.
- Extremely rare, temporary facial nerve paralysis may occur due to local anesthetic, swelling, hematoma or pressure of the cannula or thread on the nerve. Your practitioner MUST be informed immediately if facial nerve paralysis is experienced and if your practitioner can’t be reached then go immediately to the ER.
Post Peel Instructions
After your peel, it is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your peel that these guidelines be followed:
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and avoid direct sunlight the entire time your skin is peeling. Patients with hypersensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against exposure immediately following the procedure as they may be more sensitive following the peel.
- When washing your face, use cool water, do not scrub or use a wash cloth. Use a soap-free cleanser recommended by your medical professional.
- After washing your face, apply appropriate moisturizer recommended by your medical professional for 4-5 days and as often as needed to relieve any dryness.
- The regular use of Retin-A, alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) products, or bleaching creams can be resumed 3 days after peeling subsides.
- Wait until flaking or peeling completely subside before having ANY OTHER FACIAL PROCEDURES, including:
- Laser treatments (including laser hair removal)
- BOTOX injections/ Injectable fillers
Top 1% of Allergan Practices In The U.S.
Our team at Academic Alliance in Dermatology is proud to announce that our group is in the top 1% of all Allergan practices! We’re dedicated to providing unbeatable results from highly trained specialists, so you know you’re in great hands.